NOTES FROM THE TRAIL

Days of Reflection

Tags: Carlos

Posted on January 28, 2010 by None | Post a comment

Gainesville, FL:  Today, by far has been one of the most exhausting days we’ve had during the trail.  We walked our record best 22.6 miles on a windy sun piercing day.  It was a rather lonely day; but I am sure it is going to be in my most cherished memories. Today I was able to concentrate on site seeing the beautiful terrain and I felt truly centered – at one with nature.  Before the trail, I looked forward to these days, when I’d be able to pratice walking meditation, observing the sky to my left and right, see the sun and moon competing for stares and feel the resistance against the invisible cold wind.  Days like this would allow me to forget that being undocumented is an existential state of being and would allow me to view our human race hollistically and recognize our own insignificance within our universe.

As walkers, our minds truly become expanded with these lonely days, with the fear of being undocumented dispersing as if it were only a gust in the wind.  Feeling as if the pathway towards liberation from systemic oppression reaches fulliment only through the physical pain absorbed in the body.  Our will to walk and our will to strain ourselves with mental and physical ailments in the name of justice and liberation of imposed fear can’t be taken away.  In the words of the honorable Dr. Martin Luther King, “Courage faces fear and thereby masters it”.

Felipe M., reminded us how we are merely “soldiers on the ground” and I began reflecting on that.  We feel the pulse of underprivileged, undocumented people living in the shadows, the millions that feel hopeless in the despair of social, economical, and political contexts.  Hence, let us not drown in the pretentious political realm or get lost in their rhetoric, instead, let’s focus our energies in adhering to the necessities of our communities and tap into the reservoirs of our lost voices.
In solidarity,
Carlos Roa

Leave a comment:

Comments

Posted by: Irene Godinez on Jan. 28, 2010, 3:45 p.m.

Thank you for keeping us connected to your daily trails, and I hope that you, Gaby, Felipe and Juan know that although we are not there physically, there are tons of supporters watching and eagerly awaiting you to come through our towns where we want nothing more than to host you and give you a heroes welcome, all the while raising our voices with you. We are with you mi hermano. You all are in my daily thoughts. Many blessings to you and I am eager to have ya'll come through NC! Un abrazo y Hasta la Victoria Siempre! Irene

Posted by: Joe Hopkins on Jan. 28, 2010, 8:45 p.m.

God bless you all! I have recently begun to learn about immigration justice (especially in relation to our Christian faith), and you four are a great inspiration. I am currently trying to start a new group on my college campus focused on advocacy, raising awareness, and building relationships with immigrant communities in my part of central Pennsylvania. If there is anything that we at Bucknell can do for you, let me know. Viva el camino y la solidaridad!

Posted by: Candy R on Jan. 29, 2010, 2:04 p.m.

i really enjoyed reading this, you guys are truely great. Thank you in behalf of us ALL

Posted by: Roberto Blanco on Jan. 31, 2010, 6:05 a.m.

This is brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for sharing Carlos, you totally touched my heart.

Posted by: Meagan Patrick on Jan. 31, 2010, 2:41 p.m.

so pretty!

Posted by: Taina on Jan. 31, 2010, 5:33 p.m.

I wish I had been walking with you guys. Stay strong.

Posted by: Gabe on Jan. 31, 2010, 11:54 p.m.

Thank You for this! for your advocacy and incredible strength

Posted by: cyndi on Feb. 2, 2010, 12:41 p.m.

Inspiring ... moves ones heart .. this is the focus and determination that not only fights the battles ... it wins the war. Much love and support my friends.

Posted by: Adam on Feb. 4, 2010, 9:57 p.m.

Beautifuly written! Please, stay strong and keep walking, I think that you - four are making a history and the immigration Reform happen. I am with you spiritually.

Posted by: Jan Tucker on Feb. 7, 2010, 2:50 p.m.

Greeting Carlos! It was awesome getting to meet you and all the other walkers, and I look forward to more engaging discussion and sharing of resources. I wish I could walk some of the miles with you all. Who knows, if I can I may drive up to Georgia to join you all for a few days in late February.. I'll be following your progress especially as I teach the unit on the Hispanic experience this upcoming week in my Race and Ethnic Relations class. Be safe, Jan Tucker

Posted by: Lisa Godenick on March 18, 2010, 6:21 p.m.

Carlos, Your thoughts are poetic and I can't imagine how it feels to be undocumented, constantly living in fear. Normal life? What's that!?! I enjoyed our conversation last night and I have things to send you, snail mail style. I am going to read your blogs, religiously. Hope to see you in May! :)

Posted by: Claritza on April 22, 2010, 6:59 p.m.

Dear Carlos: This is a great expression of your thoughts and feelings and gave me the confidence that you and the rest of the group are in the right way. I'm really proud of you and hope you get the best experience from this anywhere you could be in the future. God blees you..T.Q.M. Claritza